At the BCA 2011 AGM held at the very successful Keele Spring meeting a major topic of discussion was our shrinking membership. For the sustainability of the BCA we urgently need to recruit new members and re-recruit lapsed members.
Membership of the BCA offers:
- Reduced registration for all BCA meetings
- Four copies of Crystallography News per year to keep up to date with news and happenings in the field
- The opportunity to actively contribute to the development of crystallography
- Networking opportunities
- Eligibility for students to apply to the Arnold Beevers Bursary Fund to obtain grants for meetings.
- Opportunity to interact and learn from scientists outside your own area of crystallography
We seek to involve our membership in promoting the benefits of being in the BCA and so we are running a competition where the member who manages to recruit the most new or lapsed members wins free registration for the European Crystallography Meeting in Warwick in 2013. New members can now specify on their membership form who recruited them so that the recommending member can be entered into the competition. The winner will be announced at the 2012 AGM.
We ask each BCA member to approach their colleagues and contacts in any area of crystallography to consider BCA membership. If each member recruits just one new member, we could double our membership…
A further initiative is to offer an electronic version of Crystallography News to members as a pdf file instead of a paper copy. This will assist in keeping our costs down and is also better for our planet. If any member wishes to take up this offer please email the BCA Secretary Georgina Rosair: firstname.lastname@example.org.
With best regards