Gift Aid LogoGift Aid doesn’t cost you anything, it’s simple to do, and, most importantly, the benefits go straight into BCA bursaries.

When you join the BCA you have an opportunity to fill out a Gift Aid Declaration which allows the BCA to claim 28p for HMRC for every £1 of any donations that you make.

Many members joined the BCA as students and were not eligible to Gift Aid their donations at the time, or they joined the BCA before the Gift Aid scheme began. Currently only 20% of our membership have completed Gift Aid Declarations.

If you think this applies to you please download and return a Gift Aid Declaration as soon as possible. HMRC allows us to claim Gift Aid on any donations that you have made to the BCA in the past 6 years.

Have I already signed up?

You can check if you are signed up already by contacting the BCA Administrative Office. You can also contact them if you change your home address, or wish to revoke your Gift Aid Declaration at any time.

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is a UK HMRC scheme enabling charities to reclaim tax on monies received from individuals.

If you make donations personally (i.e. not by university or company cheque) then the BCA can reclaim from the Inland Revenue 25p for every £1 paid in the past 6 years.

The only restriction is that you pay at least the amount claimed in UK Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax.

Why should I sign up?

The BCA reclaimed £668 in 2001 and £708 in 2002, so please sign up now.

Many of our members are still not on our Gift Aid register.

If you pay higher rate tax, you can claim back from HMRC the difference between the higher rate of tax (40 per cent) and the basic rate of tax (20 per cent) on the total (gross) value of your donation to the BCA.

How do I sign up?

To register for the BCA Gift Aid scheme all you need to do is to fill out the application form (see “Signing Up” above) and post it to the BCA Administrative Office.

Once you have returned the BCA Gift Aid Declaration the BCA will reclaim tax each year until you revoke your declaration.

You must notify the BCA if your home address changes, or if any year you do not pay UK Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax equal to or greater than the amount that you will be claimed back on all your Gift Aid donations. You can revoke your gift aid declaration at any time by informing the BCA Administrative Office.

Pay higher rate tax?

For higher rate tax payers, both the BCA and the individual benefit (by making a claim on your self-assessment tax return).

If you have any queries or uncertainties about the Gift Aid scheme, please don’t hesitate to contact the BCA Administrative Office or the BCA Treasurer directly.

Self-Assessment Tax Return Donations

Members can opt to donate all or part of any tax return to the BCA through our unique code for the self-assessment tax return scheme: QAJ89BG. Any proceeds will be added to the Arnold Beevers Bursary Fund. Please contact the BCA Treasurer for more information.